Sunday, February 3, 2008

"Tuscan Style"



For months my wife has been searching for a wrought iron soap dish, so yesterday we trekked to a Pasadena store that might have one. Upon arriving at Napa Style we were not disappointed. They had the perfect soap dish to echo the Spanish Colonial look of our home as well as a treasure trove of other suitable consistently-themed items and accessories. It is often difficult to find decorative accessories to one's style and taste, so when you find them it is a good idea to buy at the time, even if you weren't planning to do so. If you wait they can be unavailable when you finally decide it's time to purchase. In our case, we have several areas in our newly-remodeled home that need decorative items, and Napa Style had the right feel for us. Needless to say, we left the store with much more than just the soap dish!

This elegant rustic style is becoming increasingly popular across the country. In my own design business many clients talk of their love of "Tuscan style" even though it is often ill-defined. In my mind it is a homey, rustic look befitting the very old farmhouses and homes of southern France and the Tuscany region of Italy. It is warm and inviting and, although rustic, can also be very elegant. There is a real honesty to the design, with functional hand-made pieces and the use of heavy woods, wrought iron, and simple decoration. Not only is this style a personal favorite, but my home (a classic 1926 Spanish Colonial) is the perfect backdrop for this rustic design. My "new" home has many such pieces that I designed, such as this little side table for the master bathroom. My upcoming book will describe my home remodel experience as well as show other pieces of furniture and cabinetry designed by me .

No comments: